These Chickens STINK.

chicks4

We love to invite folks into our home. Just not this week. Because this place stinks.

As it turns out, seventy-five little birds sure can work through a pile of wood chips in a hurry, and all of the lemon verbena candles in the world can’t seem to overcome the buttered-popcorn-gone-bad smell that is sneaking up through our floor boards.  It’s “enter at your own risk” until these chickies are big enough to move out to the barn.

chicks3

This is the set-up that Ryan rigged up for our guests: two big plastic tubs, a feeder, a water tray, and a heat lamp. We found all of our supplies at Martin’s Feed & Fertilizer and E&L Supplies .

Chick raising tip: We used newspaper for the first day to make sure they were walking well. By the next day, we covered the bottom of the tubs with a shallow layer of wood chips.

I just realized that I forgot to ask Ryan for his magic soy-free recipe. All I know is that the Burkholder’s employee who piled 50 pounds of split peas into the back of my van on Friday couldn’t help but ask, “why, exactly…?” I smiled and proudly replied, “My husband is making his own soy-free chicken feed from scratch!” How many women can say that, I wonder? At any rate, I will do my best to secure the recipe this week. (Hmm, what if Ryan insists it’s a family secret? What will we do then? Well, I guess you’ll just have to buy our chickens instead of making them yourself!)

In the meantime, do you have a magic recipe for overcoming chick-smell?

Enjoy your home,

About Laura

We are one little family and we're on a mission: we want to discover our hometown and share the treasures with you! Just think of all the tractor-pulls, restaurants, farm stands, mom-and-pop shops, and local attractions that we'll enjoy together. We hope that our discoveries and ideas strengthen your family and our hometown Penns Valley, Pennsylvania.
This entry was posted in Chickens. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to These Chickens STINK.

1. Shana says:

Nope, meat birds just stink. Sorry 🙂

2. Sarah Mason says:

Ditto that. Changing their newspaper or chips or whatever you use on a daily basis helps keep the smell down, but you’re basically stuck. Have you ever tried the concentrated room spray by Slatkin and Co? The fresh linen scent seems to do fairly well at covering up the smell temporarily, should an unexpected guest arrive! Good luck with your new baby chicks! If you need anything, give us a shout.

Blessings,
    Sarah (and Chuck)

• Laura says:

Thanks, Sarah. It’s good to see you here! 🙂 I haven’t tried the spray you’re talking about, but will keep my eye open for it. I also just saw a post from E&L Supplies about a candle for pet-odor problems. Maybe? They’re growing as quickly as the weather is warming, so hopefully they’ll be stinking up the barn sooner than later.

3. Natalie says:

Laura if you are buying bulk from Burkholders, there is a little store at the end of our road that gets the same bulk stuff as Burkholders, but only charges a couple of dollars more than her price. She gets orders in most Fridays from Dutch Valley. I order several bulk products from her let me know if you are interested in more info. What kind of meat birds did you get and from where? I have a friend who wants to get some this spring sometime. We got them Cornish Roasters a couple of years ago and I got my Buff Orpingtons, I couldn’t believe the difference in their attitute toward FOOD! They are wired so differently and the roasters do make ALOT more mess!! Enjoy the experience!!

• Laura says:

Thanks for the tip, Natalie. We’ll keep that shop in mind. For now, Burk’s is more convenient for us geographically, but I’d love to pop my head in and check out her shop. Does she have regular hours?

4. JMylin says:

We have six little chicks in our downstairs bathroom in a tub set-up like you, and WOO HOO, what a stench! The funny thing is our adoption home study is on Saturday. Oh well. :-/

• Laura says:

Six little chicks?! ADOPTION HOME STUDY?! Your comment was loaded with exciting tid-bits. Congratulations all around. The home study will go so well: they’ll love to see your educational and nurturing chick lab. 🙂

5. Pingback: The Chicks Graduate | PennsValleyFamily.com